Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Week 7 Storytelling - A Wife and a Mother's Role

There once was a simple married couple. A man and a wife in union under love. The wife served the man hand and foot and never let him raise a finger, once he had returned from work. Everyday she would clean the house and cook his favorite foods; awaiting his arrival. She loved to see the appreciation in his eyes from all her efforts.

The years went on and things remained the same.

After sometime, the couple fell onto financial hardship and the wife was forced to take a job that required to live outside of the home. The man and wife worked through the financially hard times and the man ended up taking a second job in order to allow his wife return home.

Now the husband was coming home twice as late and as tired as ever, nevertheless the wife waited on him tirelessly hand and foot for she knew how hard he worked.

Eventually, his efforts paid dividends and the couple no longer needed to worry about financial problems.

Life was now much more relaxed for the couple. However, the woman's desire to serve her husband was just as intense as ever before. She wanted now more than ever to bore him a son. She soon became pregnant and the man's love grew even more in the wife's eyes.

The child was born and it was a girl. The man was happy, however not nearly as happy as he could have been. The wife could see it in his eyes. He yearned for a son and the fact that his wife had not given him one made him secretly unhappy with her.

The days pressed on and their daughter grew by the day. The wife had a new joy in her daughter and now had new vigor to serve another loved one.

More days drew on and the husband's affection slowly faded into absence. The man asked for a divorce and the woman gave it to him without a word.




Author's Note: I was truly inspired to write this story because of Sita's undying spousal loyalty to Rama, and her symbolism as self-sacrificing and dedicated mother. Sita went through so much in her life and is mistreated so much it truly makes me sad. She is never rewarded for all the amazing things she has done. Sita really touches me as a character because she reminds me of my mother. My mother loves me and my brother so much its unfathomable. I know she would do absolutely anything for me and reading about Sita being taken away by Bhumi really makes me appreciate my own mother even more. In this story the wife is Sita and the husband is Rama. This story is inspired from all the triviality Sita faces in her life and then being abruptly taken from the whole world. And abruptly the wife and man separate similar to Bhumi taking Sita. I plan to expand this story for my portfolio.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your story was such a great representation of Sita in much simpler story terms. I was really distraught by the end of Sita’s story in this variation of the Ramayana (though the first one we read wasn’t much better), and I think your picture went with the story beautifully. Rama really didn’t appreciate Sita enough, and I think that’s the worst part about the whole story. Sita was such a devoted character and Rama didn’t even care in the end. Talk about realistic depiction, though. I’ll give them that. It’s a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Avi, it was good to be reading your work again, and like usual you did a great job telling your own story and being really original and creative. You had great description, and did a good job of portraying a loving wife, and also a loving mother. It was sad to see that the husband did not stick by her just because she didn’t give him a son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Avi, I really enjoyed your story. It was quite the roller coaster of emotions. For instance, how the couple start off happy, then fall into hard ship and then become happy and finally end up getting a divorce. It was a very good modern representation of Rama and Sita’s relationship. It’s kind of crazy to think that there are actual relationships out there that end up like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Avi! I could really feel the emotion in this story, and that is what made it so powerful! I definitely can relate to how you felt about Sita and how she was treated. I was very upset by that in the book as well. I thought your story definitely paralleled that of Rama and Sita's well. The wife in your story is loyal and sacrifices so much through all of the hardship they endure. She is a wonderful mother as well, but still she loses her husband because he does not appreciate everything she has done. It's rather tragic. I thought you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete